If can’t sign in to your www.hotmail.com or email account, or you’re not sure how to sign in, here are some solutions. Hotmail is considered to be one of the very first to provide the users with web-based email services. It has transformed the entire email experience in many ways from the time it started continuing to the present. Offering email services for free, this service has been effectively revamped by the software giant Microsoft.
Hotmail provides the user with a premier and free of cost web-based email service experience. At first, the users were dependent on the internet service providers or ISPs until the time they realized the free web-based email service experience through the applications such as Hotmail and Yahoo. Their applications were launched in the late nineties. The Hotmail sign in process at the start was very simple but had poor user interaction and had several security loopholes. Several steps were taken further to ensure that the customers could get a secure and responsive login experience.
One needs to follow certain steps and keep in mind few aspects in order to get a complete understanding of this service and make full use of it.
Following are certain aspects that should be kept in mind and the steps the user needs to follow:
The Initial Hotmail Sign In Procedure
In earlier times the procedure for signing in for the Hotmail account was simple with the following mention necessary steps:
- Unique Username: The user following the registration process needs to choose a username that is unique.
- Password: The user then needs to choose a password which further can be used during the login process. The users need not follow strict guidelines while choosing the password during early times.
- Personal Details: The personal details consisted of some simple entries such as entering the First Name and Last Name. No other details were asked of the user as a part of personal details.
- Optional Information: The optional information can be listed in a text box if the user wished to enter. Entering the details in the optional information textbox was not at all mandatory.
Changes proposed in Hotmail
Because of the several limitations of the Hotmail interface and sign up the process as a whole, there was an urgent need to propose some effective changes to make it better. Microsoft did all the required work after it acquired Hotmail. The Email service was now associated with MSN.
For login onto the MSN network, the following simple steps were taken:
- Username and Password: There were two fields to be entered namely Username and Password.
- Saving details for the future Login: There was also an option to save the username and password into the browser so that the user can directly log onto the account without the hassle of entering the username and passwords again and again.
Recovery of Hotmail account
The above-mentioned steps were very basic and effective and to add to its effectiveness a facility to recover the user’s account was also appended. It could be achieved using the following steps:
- There was a link provided for the recovery of the password just below the login panel. The user needed to click onto the link in order to navigate onto the recovery page.
- An alternate Email address was to be provided in the given text field where the password for the account would be sent.
Changes incorporated in the new Sign In process
The new process has the ease of the previous one along with the security measures that are added to the Hotmail domain. One the user types in the domain name in the URL and is directed to the Outlook login page.
Once the user is on the login page, the user needs to follow the following steps:
- Common Login Panel: The offerings of the services by Microsoft can now be accessed using a common login for all. The user can log in to any Microsoft services that user holds the account for.
- Email address/Username: The user then is required to enter the username/email address in the first field.
- Password: The user is then redirected to the next page where one needs to enter the respective password the user entered at the time of registration.
- Forgot Password Link: The user can also use the ‘forgot password’ link in case the user no longer remembers the previous password. This link is provided just below the login panel.
- Stay Logged In: The user can use this feature to dodge the hassle of entering the username and password again and again while accessing the account multiple times.
- Security Code: There is another feature added by Microsoft known as ‘Security Code’. This feature can be brought into action by activating it in the settings section of the Hotmail account. This in turns sends a security code to the registered mobile number of the user which the user needs to enter in order to access his/her account. This altogether removes the difficulty of remembering the passwords every time.
Along with the above-mentioned features, Microsoft has introduced several other features to ensure that Hotmail can be accessed with ease and is more responsive. Some of them are as mentioned below:
- Email Inbox features: The overall Email inbox has been revamped and reconstructed to add more ease to the access. With the modern inbox design that is offered as part of Outlook interface, one can conveniently create new emails and correspondence.
- Retaining the old information: The new interface also ensures that the old information of the previous or old Hotmail users is retained and can be easily accessed onto this new platform.
New to Outlook?
If you are among the ones who wish to create a new Hotmail account with the new interface of Outlook, the process for the same is an easy one.
One can follow the following steps for the same:
- Click on the link mentioned for the creation of the new account.
- Once the user has clicked on the link, the user is redirected to a page with a form with several text fields.
- Choose a unique Username for the account by entering the required username in the text field.
- After this, the user needs to enter a password of his/her choice. This password should be remembered as it will be used along with the username for the login processes.
- Once the account password is correctly entered and the system approves it, the user can move forward filling in the other remaining details.
- The user also requires entering an alternate email address and mobile number for the same which is used as a part of two-step verification process as a part of security measures.
Note: The password that is entered should be alphanumeric and eight characters in size.
Security is something that is of utmost importance when it comes to the application that operates on World Wide Web. The new sign in the process thus is constructed in such a way that it has become more secure.
Following measures are taken to ensure the security of the same:
- Strong Password: The user should ensure the use of strong passwords that contain a combination of alphabets as well as numeric.
- Case Sensitive and Special Characters: The password should also involve the use of the Case Sensitive and Special Characters which in turn adds up to the strength of the password.
- Alternate Email address and Registered Mobile Number: An Alternate Email address and registered mobile number are an integral part of the two-step verification process. This altogether helps in securing the account as well as recovering the password is lost.
- Security Questions: There is another facility added to enhance the security named as Security Questions. These questions are to be answered during the registration process which can be used later as a part of account recovery or password recovery in case the password is lost.
Thus there are several advantages of the new domain over the previous domain. The new layout is more interactive and easy to use. The old users can access the new services provided by the Outlook interface using their Hotmail login details as well. Thus the changes in the Hotmail have made it more effective and easy to use.